Your Guide to Changing the World
But there are a lot of worthy causes competing for the available cash, so how can you ensure that your fabulous idea stands apart?
That’s where an expert like instructor Anthony Ogilvie can help you out. With nearly 40 years of experience in the education and community development worlds, he’s uniquely skilled in guiding students in writing persuasive and effective grant requests, as well as providing insight into how to successfully compete for funding.
How long have you been teaching this class?
I’ve been teaching it for about 5 years now.
What's your educational & professional background?
I have a B.A. in Political Science from the UW, and an M.Ed and Ed.D from Seattle University.
My professional experience includes:
- 2 years teaching high school
- 9 years as a program administrator at the State Education Education Office
- 4 – 5 years as a program administrator at Seattle University
- I’ve taught college/university courses at Seattle Central College, Heritage University, and Antioch University
- I’ve worked in the private sector as a senior manager of several companies
- I’ve written scores of proposals and requests for funds generating millions of dollars in grants for education institutions, non-profit organizations, and businesses
What other kind of life experience do you have that influences what and how you teach?
I was fortunate enough to have teachers who were down-to-earth, practical, and engaged in a lot of humor, which has influenced my own teaching and advising style.
What do you enjoy the most about teaching your classes at Seattle Central?
I love being around young people full of energy, hope and wanting to change things for themselves and the community in which they are active.
I also really enjoy the supportive staff and student diversity at the college overall.
Tell us about an inspirational teaching moment.
I taught a leadership seminar class for about 7 students and 4 or 5 of the seven went on to earn their doctorates in education and medicine.
- I enjoy international intrigue stories by numerous authors
- Entrepreneurial activities
- The Shooter, starring Mark Wahlberg, about the US government setting up a veteran to take the fall for the assassination of the president
- James Brown
- Doo-wop songs from the 50s and 60s
- Favorite song: Song for my Father, How Insensitive (Jobim)
- Vince’s Pizza — I love their puttanesca
- Philippines — because I am from there, love the culture, and I speak the language