Let's Get MixxedFit
Created in 2013 by Lori Barcenilla, MixxedFit is a people-inspired dance exercise format that is a combination of high-intensity explosive dance moves with boot camp toning.
Since launching in the greater Seattle area in 2013, MixxedFit has grown into an international phenomenon, with over 900 locations around the world offering this fun and funky form of exercise.
Instructor Maria Roy joined us in Spring 2017 to begin offering her popular MixxedFit classes to the community at Seattle Central. We asked her to share more about her background, interests, and experiences.
What classes do you teach for Seattle Central?
I have been teaching MixxedFit since February 2015 and I have been teaching at Seattle Central College since April 2017.
What's your educational & professional background?
I am a forever student. I love college. I have a certificate in surgical technology, paralegal studies and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice and a minor in Anthropology.
I've had various jobs, but found my passion in fitness after completing the Rock 'N' Roll half marathon in June 2010.
I don't like sitting still. I like to keep moving, and that's why working in the fitness industry is a perfect match for me.
What do you enjoy the most about teaching your classes at Seattle Central?
The thing that I enjoy about teaching class is that I get to demonstrate to students that exercise is fun.
Also, I like talking with people because you never know what you're going to learn.
Tell us about an inspirational teaching moment.
My most inspirational teaching moment is when a student said that they weren't having a good day, but that they came to class anyway and they really needed it!
Would you rather have a tiger tail or tiger stripes?
I choose tiger tail because they help the tiger balance when they are climbing trees and when they are making sharp turns in pursuit of prey.
Also, they use their tails to communicate with each other.
- Traveling - When I travel, I have the pleasure of trying new foods, learning about the culture and discovering nature.
- Running - I enjoy running because it's outdoor exercise and I like challenging myself. I've run one full marathon, five half marathons, and seven 5Ks.
- High-Intensity Interval Training
- Hair braiding
- Going on adventures with her family
- Loom knitting hats in the winter - Eventually, I want to learn how to crochet, knit, and sew.
- Stevie Wonder
- Eric Roberson
- Jill Scott
- Janelle Monae
- Alabama Shakes
- Pharrell Williams
- Orcas Island, WA - I love petting deer (one of my favorite animals). Another reason I love Orcas Island is my kids love it there especially Cascade Lake.
- Santa Fe, NM - It's a beautiful desert with red sand and green trees. It's not what I expect a desert to look like.
- Uluru, Australia - I love the red sand and the Rock is spectacular.
- Sydney, Australia - I enjoyed going on a tour at Taronga Zoo, during which I fed wallabies (one of my favorite animals).
- Port of Spain, Trinidad - I went during Carnival and danced for days. I love the food there.
- Waitomo Glowworm Caves, New Zealand because - I love caves!