A native of the Pacific Northwest, Margaret Pommert started boating as a teen and teaching others in 2004.
She’s enjoyed many of the world’s top cruising destinations, including the Inside Passage to Alaska, Pacific Ocean crossing, Panama canal transit, Caribbean, South Pacific, Great Lakes, Channel Islands, San Francisco Bay, Greece, New Zealand, Chesapeake Bay, and Baja/Sea of Cortez.
Margaret has the following certifications:
- US Coast Guard licensed 50 Ton Master Near Coastal waters; power, sail, towing
- US Sailing® certified instructor for sailing, cruising, bareboat chartering, performance sailing, and catamarans
- American Sailing Association® certified instructor for sailing, cruising, bareboat chartering, docking, coastal navigation, advanced coastal cruising, and catamarans
- US Powerboating® certified instructor for basic powerboating, inland powerboating, and night operations
- National Safe Boating Council® certified boating safety instructor (NASBLA-approved boating safety courses)
Her goal is to help students develop capabilities to achieve their personal recreational boating goals in a safe, fun, and stimulating environment.
Margaret's Teaching Style & Approach
How do you present material to students?
My goal is to keep things interesting!
I use slides with pictures/diagrams and summary text, live demonstrations, hands-on practice, short videos, games, and hand-outs with reference information.
I teach in a ‘building-block’ manner, so that students at different levels can learn new things, re-enforce what they already know, and understand how it all fits together.
How do you interact and work with students?
A good mariner never stops learning.
I respect my students and their boating goals, regardless of their experience level.
Learning is important, but — especially for recreational boaters — learning should be engaging and fun.
What kind of classroom dynamic do you promote?
It’s important to me to keep the class interactions stimulating and interactive.
The classroom should be an opportunity to have some fun and meet fellow boaters, while also developing the skills needed for each student’s personal boating dreams.