Join a jazz band!
The Capitol Hill Jazz Collective is a music performance group for intermediate level musicians and community members to develop jazz performance skills in a big band setting.
Explore music repertory in jazz styles including swing, Latin and rock.
Learn to play historically significant music pieces and contemporary works.
Develop knowledge of jazz history, while working on improvisation and sight-reading skills.
Enjoy playing in a swingin' big band style group each week and developing a set of music that we will perform at the end of the quarter.
Plan to put in one to two hours of personal practice time outside of class in preparation for rehearsals.
- Learn to play music of the swing and big band jazz era
- Gain experience playing in an ensemble
- Explore improvisation and other techniques of the jazz style
Who Should Take this Class?
Prerequisite: Permission of the instructor
- Intermediate level musicians (reading and performance) who can provide their own intstrument
- Musicians interested in expanding their experience playing and performing with an ensemble
- Musicians interested in learning to play big jazz band music
- Musicians interested in learning more about improvisation
- Beginners will not turned away; however this is an intermediate level performance class; if needed, plan to work with a private instructor to get your skills up to the level needed for performance participation.