Learn Flamenco dance!
Flamenco is an art form that originated in southern Spain in the late 1700s, and it encompasses many different cultures from Latin American to India, especially from the Romany people of Spain.
During this fun and empowering introductory class, you will learn fun and beautiful dance techniques, including postures, hand and arm movements, and the sounds of rhythmic foot movements.
Enjoy the excitement of putting movements together into beautiful and expressive choreography.
You will also have the chance to explore Flamenco song (cante) and rhythm (compas) to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the dance and culture.
Depending on your interests, and the interests of others students in the class, there might be an opportunity to perform in an informal (and optional) dance presentation for friends and family at the end of class.
Men and women of all ages, beginning and experienced dancers, join this class for the dance, culture, exercise and fun!
- Learn the basic hand and arm movements of Flamenco dance
- Develop correct postures for the dance
- Begin learning how to use your feet to make rhythms to add to combinations
- Learn the history of Flamenco and some Spanish vocabulary
- Practice body awareness and self-expression
- Get healthy exercise
- Have fun in a supportive learning environment
Who Should Take this Class?
- Men and women of all ages interested in exploring dance
- Dancers interested in exploring Flamenco or new dance techniques and choreography
- People interested in cultural experiences
- Anyone looking for a fun and effective, dance-based workout