Are you intrigued by the artistry and grace of Kabuki dance?
During this class, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Learn how to play the shamisen (Naga-uta style) — a traditional Japanese 3-string instrument — in both English and Japanese
- Learn about Kabuki history
- Experience how to wear a kimono
- Learn formal manners, etiquette and polite greetings in Japanese
- Practice putting on Kabuki-style stage make-up
The instructor is a professional Kabuki Arts teacher, with 40 years of experience.
- Master the basic movements of Japanese dance, step-by-step, using kimono sleeves, fan, hands, feet and other props
- Learn how to read shamisen music notation by using text/CD
- Learn how to hold and play the 3 stringed musical instrument with plectrum.
- Increase your knowledge of the history of Kabuki play & music from the past 400 years
- Pick up some hiragana/katakana (Japanese alphabet)
- Learn traditional Japanese style manners and etiquette
Who Should Take this Class?
- Anyone who is interested in learning the general concepts of traditional Japanese Kabuki Arts under a Japanese instructor who speaks both English and Japanese
- Experienced dancers who would like to learn a new style of dance
- Performance artists who seek to expand their repertoire
Please Note: A shamisen and kimono are required for this class; please contact the instructor for information on where you can rent them.
I love dancing! Kabuki is so vastly different from Western dance. I am thrilled to be able to be part of a unique and traditional cultural experience.
I enjoy learning the stories that goes with the traditional songs and music pieces.
- Class ID: 6649
- Instructor: Mary Ohno
- When: 4 Saturdays | 4/8/17 - 4/29/17 | 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- Total Number of Hours: 12
- Where: Broadway Edison Bldg - Room 2122 | 1701 Broadway, Seattle WA 98122
- Fee: $99
- Additional Notes: A shamisen and kimono are required for this class; please contact the instructor for information on where you can rent them.