Discover and develop your voice through signing in our jazz vocal workshop.
Beginner and intermediate singers will have the opportunity to develop their voice through the study of contemporary and standard jazz styles.
During this workshop, you'll:
- Learn two new songs from the Jazz Standard Repertoire and then choose two of your own songs to work on through the rest of class, preparing for performance
- Spend time on the basics of singing: the breath, tone, vowel placement
- Learn the 32 bar song form, how to count off a song, how to end a song
- Practice phrasing and telling the story of a song
Special emphasis will be placed on singing in front of people every class, and we'll end the class with a performance backed by a professional jazz trio (piano, drums, bass) at Tula's Restaurant and Nightclub.
- Improved understanding of the basics of jazz styles
- Increased knowledge of different scales, improvisation and more
- Practice singing solo and with others
Who Should Take this Class?
- Beginning vocalists
- Intermediate vocalists
- Anyone with an interest in improving their tone and pitch
- Anyone who would like to sing comfortably in public
Nice community, positive & supportive. Katie is a damn sharp musician and fabulous/talented education.
I enjoyed that we jumped right into singing with a mic. There wasn't much time to be nervous. The environment was very supportive and Katie gave individualized attention to meet everyone's needs. -- Theresa Hawkins