Expand your artistic expression and learn how to paint a variety of skin tones of color — from olive to darker brown.
We’ll practice palette and brush techniques for features, different hair textures, and darker eyes.
Each session will be tailored for technique and creative development.
The class will also explore the history of Caribbean, Mediterranean, and African American artists, and includes a field trip to the Northwest African American Museum.
- Session 1: Introduction to instructor, student meet and greet, materials list, and syllabus explanation of class assignments.
- Session 2: Demos and Color Theory and Mixing. How to use brushes, solvent, application, of paints.
- Session 3: Blocking out shapes for portraits. Learning shapes of features.
- Session 4: Application of paint, washes, and tones.
- Sessions 5: Transparency, Light, Shadow, and Glazing.
- Session 6: Painting with Texture. Learning to paint different types of hair textures.
- Session 7: Adding clothing for texture and contrast.
- Session 8: Adding highlights.
- Session 9: Class will meet on a Sunday for a trip to the Seattle African American Museum.
- Learn the tools and techniques to paint beautiful skin tones of color.
- Learn about famous artists of color from America, Caribbean, Mediterranean, Africa, and Europe.
- Understand art as a form of personal expression.
Who Should Take this Class?
- Students who want to learn how to paint various skin tones, from light olive to darker brown
- Artists interested in improving their portrait painting skills
- Class ID: 6437
- Instructor: Georgetta Gancarz
- When: We're not offering this class right now, but we will again in the future. Please bookmark this page and check back for updates, or sign up for our email list to receive news on upcoming classes. Thank you!
- Total Number of Hours: 16
- Where: Fine Arts Bldg - Room 405 | 801 E. Pine St., Seattle WA 98122
- Fee: $145
- Additional Notes: Check out our Textbooks & Supplies page for info on any required materials for this class.