Start telling your life story!
From ideas to notes to messy first drafts to final polish, we'll cover the basics, writing together in class and writing on our own in between.
Sharing will be encouraged, but optional. We will practice the art of supportive, insightful feedback.
There will be handouts and/or reading suggestions. You will be expected to write between classes, although there will be no required writing quota.
- Overcome fears about writing and get started
- Find your voice and learn to write comfortably and confidently as yourself
- Discover your story through writing
- Learn to treat your writing seriously and with respect
- Learn to think, observe, interview and read as a writer
- Learn how to share your writing with others
- Learn the tools of the trade, some of which memoirists borrow from fiction writers, others from journalists and still others from poets
Who Should Take this Class?
- This class is for anyone who wants to write about their lives
- Open to writers at all levels
I enjoyed the writing prompts, the 1:1 and the peer reviews were beyond inspiring. Loved every minute of class.
In addition to generously offering a one-on-one meeting with her, Ann gave us thought-provoking, creative exercises every week that inspired and encouraged us. -- Denis Adair
I appreciate how Ann built the course through themes and topics giving specific examples and readings that helped me integrate the material into our writing. I also really appreciate that she offered us each a one-on-one meeting time outside of class. -- Carol O'Dell
I just wanted you to know that your class was exactly what I had been looking for. As you may remember, I have no ambitions as a writer -- just wanted to get the wheels turning. Your experience as a writer and teacher beautifully inform the class. I especially appreciate the balance of direction and freedom -- not too much direction, just enough to trigger thoughts. I also appreciate the selection of directives -- to the point, the essence of what is important. They will remain guideposts for me in future writing. As a teacher myself, I know that these two qualities are gleaned from long experience and good judgment. I feel fortunate to have been the beneficiary of them. The group will be meeting at my house [in the future] to continue sharing, a testament, I think, to your successful teaching. -- Ellen Taussig
- Class ID: 6725
- Instructor: Ann Hedreen
- When: We're not offering this class right now, but we will again in the future. Please bookmark this page and check back for updates, or sign up for our email list to receive news on upcoming classes. Thank you!
- Total Number of Hours: 9
- Where: Broadway Edison Building - Room 4175 | 1701 Broadway, Seattle WA 98122
- Fee: $149