This class will get you started on telling the story of (or some stories from) your life.
From ideas to notes to messy first drafts to final polish, we’ll cover the basics, writing together in class and writing on our own between classes.
Sharing will be encouraged, but optional. We will practice the art of supportive, insightful feedback.
There will be handouts and/or reading suggestions. You will be expected to write between classes, although there will be no required writing quota.
- Overcome fears about writing and get started
- Find your voice and learn to write comfortably and confidently as yourself
- Discover your story through writing
- Learn to treat your writing seriously and with respect
- Learn to think, observe, interview and read as a writer
- Learn how to share your writing with others
- Learn the tools of the trade, some of which memoirists borrow from fiction writers, others from journalists and still others from poets
Who Should Take this Class?
- This class is for anyone who wants to write about their lives
- Open to writers at all levels
I enjoyed the writing prompts, the 1:1 and the peer reviews were beyond inspiring. Loved every minute of class.
In addition to generously offering a one-on-one meeting with her, Ann gave us thought-provoking, creative exercises every week that inspired and encouraged us. — Denis Adair
I appreciate how Ann built the course through themes and topics giving specific examples and readings that helped me integrate the material into our writing. I also really appreciate that she offered us each a one-on-one meeting time outside of class. — Carol O’Dell
- Class ID: 6725
- Instructor: Ann Hedreen
- When: We're not offering this class right now, but we will again in the future. Please bookmark this page and check back for updates, or sign up for our email list to receive news on upcoming classes. Thank you!
- Total Number of Hours: 7.5
- Where: Broadway Edison Bldg - Room 4175 | 1701 Broadway, Seattle WA 98122
- Fee: $120