English for Au Pairs is designed specifically for Au Pairs who want to improve their U.S. English skills.
During this interactive course, you'll work with an experienced ESL instructor to improve your speaking, listening, vocabulary, and grammar skills, centered specifically on your needs as an Au Pair.
Through group conversations, student-centered grammar practice, informal presentations, field trips, and vocabulary and listening activities, you'll gain more fluency and confidence in speaking U.S. English, including:
- Recognizing and using both formal and informal English as appropriate
- Understanding how verb tenses change meaning
- Using specific pronunciation strategies to enhance clarity and fluency
- Knowing how to ask for clarification in an effective way
- Understanding how to find useful and relevant resources on the internet
- Recognizing basic word forms and how they change the meaning
You'll also have fun with and meet other Au Pairs living and working in the Seattle area.
- Feel more confident in using and understanding U.S. English
- Practice conversation skills for both work and social situations in the U.S.
- Improve listening and comprehension skills to enhance both work and leisure time
- Learn grammar structures that improve communication with others in speaking and writing
- Use English to share ideas and collaborate with other au pairs in the Seattle area
- Gain skills in using available technology and library resources to continue improving English after the course has concluded
Who Should Take this Class?
Prerequisite: Intermediate English or above -- you can participate in group conversations about everyday topics.
- Au Pairs interested in improving their U.S. English language skills
The structure of the course was very thoughtful and the teaching methods were very thorough. For example, I liked that we were given main project and side project to work on through-ought the course. --Roxanne
The instructors Yarrow and Cooper were very helpful and knowledgeable about woodworking. They were excellent in making sure students felt safe and confident in applying the concepts we learned about the woodworking tools to actual practice. --Rosie
I enjoyed the preparation and learning woodworking. Especially learning with other women because it was not as intimidating. I like that we practiced a little on all the machines. --Emily
I really liked the stress on learning about the wood, how the wood interacts with the machines, and machine safety. I can learn how to use a table saw on YouTube, but how likely am I to understand how to use it correctly and safely? --Turgan
I am glad we learned how to use unpowered hand tools and power tools (table saw and miter saw).
Yarrow was an excellent instructor and Cooper was an awesome aide. I would not hesitate to take a class from either of them in the future or recommend them to a friend.
This class was amazing. The instructor was great, upbeat/funny all while going the extra mile to assure we were safe. Project was great and TA was knowledgeable and great addition to the class.
I enjoyed the way Rebecca told us about language. She was prepared for every class and she's so nice and a very understanding person. --Student
I enjoyed the conversations about our own traditions, countries, habits, and routines. It helped a lot. --Student
- Class ID: 6637
- Instructor: Suzanne Anderson
- When: 8 Wednesdays | 6/27/18 - 8/22/18 | 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
- Total Number of Hours: 16
- Where: Broadway Edison Building - Room 4144 | 1701 Broadway, Seattle WA 98122
- Fee: $149
- Additional Notes: No class on 7/4. Check out our Textbooks & Supplies page for info on any required or suggested materials for this class.