Whether captain or crew, there are essential knots and line handling skills that recreational sail and power boaters should know.
Line handling skills are important to docking, undocking, and transiting the locks.
During this class, you’ll learn how to:
- Handle dock lines safely, even under load
- Store lines so they are always neat and immediately ready to use
- Throw a line effectively
- Communicate effectively between the person at the helm and the person handling lines
- Recognize the appropriate knot to use in various situations
- Put a line on/off a cleat without stepping off the boat
- Tie a variety of knots, including: bowline, clove hitch, round turn and two half hitches, stopper knots, reef knot, locking cleat hitch, cow hitch, and rolling hitch
- Learn line handling etiquette
- Gain experience with tying a variety of different knots
- Know how to tie the right knot for the right purpose
- Recieve guidance on mooring best practices
Who Should Take this Class?
- Recreational boaters interested in improving their knot tying skills
- Those interested in learning more about the ins and outs of docking and mooring