Tai Chi is a health sustaining exercise and a tool for improved body awareness.
Practiced by the elderly for balance and circulation and the young for relaxation and martial arts, it is a wonderful holistic activity for all ages.
During this class, you'll learn:
- The Yang Tai Chi short form, which is comprised of 35 individual movements
- Chi Kung, a warm-up exercise and relaxation activity with 18 movements
- Elements of Chinese Medical Philosophy, such as Yin/Yang theory and Five Elements transformation
- The basics of Taoist philosophy
We'll focus on learning the entire Yang short form, and you'll receive guidance in developing your own regular practice at home.
- Learn about the history and background of Tai Chi
- Learn basic warm-up stretches to improve overall movement
- Discover the Yang-style short form of Tai Chi
- Practice the Yang-style under the direction of an expert instructor
Who Should Take this Class?
- Individuals seeking a low-impact exercise routine
- Anyone interested in improving their coordination and balance
This class is a perfect way to end the work day. Gentle warm-up movements, focused movements, kind reminders that wherever we are is just right -- it doesn't matter if we've been practicing for years or this is the first time -- sprinkled with laughter, good humor, and wonderful classmates. These are the ingredients that inspire me to continue with the class. -- Debra
I am a 71 year old woman who was having balance problems, such as falling off my bicycle. After only a few weeks of taking Richard's class, I was falling much less. He is a great teacher: Serious, knowledgeable, fun, patient and kind. -- Cassandra
I have taken Richard’s class at Seattle Central for over four years. Besides being extremely well-versed in massage,Tai Chi, martial arts and more arcane whole body healing methods, I would classify Richard as a Shaman of Kinesiology. He has expertise in the movement of body and mind throughout life. -- John
I had only a vague idea of Tai Chi positions before -- this course really improved my practice and my posture and balance in general. I enjoy the group interaction and the instructor, and of course the Tai Chi.
I appreciate how he can adjust the class to accommodate folks at different levels of experience and ability and support individual progress as well. -- Karen Sakata
- Class ID: 6522
- Instructor: Richard Aries
- When: 10 Wednesdays | 9/26/18-11/28/18 | 6:00 PM-8:00 PM
- Total Number of Hours: 20
- Where: Broadway Edison Building - Room 1139B | 1701 Broadway, Seattle WA 98122
- Fee: $149