Your employees are your most valuable resources. Ensuring the efficiency of your team is the key to your success and is your most important responsibility. Get practical, easy to understand, and insightful methods for new and even experienced supervisors and managers.
Learn about effective delegation, performance management, and writing performance reviews. Discuss the specifics of the supervisor's role and responsibilities, and strategies for improving your overall effectiveness as a leader.
Take home practical information along with tips and techniques that can be applied at your job immediately.
During this class, you'll have the opportunity to:
- Clarify the role and responsibilities of the supervisor
- Develop specific strategies to maximize leadership in the work setting
- Learn through discussion and workshop exercises, how to leverage benefits and functions of management for maximum productivity
- Understand the importance of effective delegation
- Understand the importance of managing performance to maximum productivity
- Understand the key elements of effective performance reviews
- Understanding your roles and responsibilities.
- What are the Four Functions of Management?
- Defining Planning.
- Defining Organization.
- Defining Controlling.
- Defining Leading and Motivating.
- How do the four functions help you manage more effectively?
- Identifying which of the four functions is your strength.
- Identifying which of the four functions you should improve and why.
The Role of the Supervisor - Conclusion
- Application of the Planning function and your benefits.
- Application of the Organizing function and your benefits.
- Application of the Controlling function and your benefits.
- Application of the Leading and Motivating function and your benefits.
- Measuring the outcomes of application of the Four Functions of Management.
Delegation and Employee Engagement
- The multiple benefits of delegation.
- Identifying your specific benefits.
- Myths and barriers of delegation.
- Identifying your specifics barriers.
- Understanding the distinction between delegating a task and delegating responsibility.
- How delegation increases employee job satisfaction.
- How delegation increases employee retention and skill sets.
Delegation and Employee Engagement - Conclusion
- Understanding the Delegation Model.
- How to translate the steps of the model to specific language and behaviors.
- Creating your own delegation script.
- Application of the Delegation Model.
- Measuring the outcomes of your delegation.
- Defining performance management.
- Understanding the difference between behavior and attitude.
- Identifying and interpreting employee behavior.
- Translating performance into actionable behaviors that can be addressed.
- Holding employees accountable for performance, job responsibilities.
- How employee expectations can be undermined by your actions.
- The problem with value judgments and why the “why” doesn’t matter.
- How to determine when you are putting your comfort above employee performance.
- Understanding how performance is reinforced passively.
- Understanding how performance is reinforced actively.
Performance Management – Conclusion
- Understanding the Performance Management Model.
- Review and analysis of case studies.
- Application of the Performance Management Model.
- Measuring the outcomes of your performance management.
Writing and Delivering Performance Reviews
- Elements of the performance review.
- Review and discussion of subjective and objective evaluation of performance.
- The problems with evaluating performance subjectively.
- How to evaluate performance objectively.
- Qualitative and quantitative evaluation of job performance.
- Providing performance feedback.
- How to cite performance factors and behaviors.
Writing and Delivering Performance Reviews - Conclusion
- Communication skills and techniques.
- Getting employee commitment and buy-in.
- Monitoring and maintaining employee progress.
- Application of the skills and techniques for writing a performance review.
- Application of the skills and techniques for delivering a performance review.
- Measuring the outcomes of your writing and delivery of a review.
Upon successful completion of this course you will:
- Be able to self-assess your own competencies and know what you need to develop to maximize your effective as a supervisor
- Employ strategies to create productive and cooperative staff relationships
- Establish yourself as a leader in creating benefits to your organization and motivate staff to do the same
- Delegate responsibility with confidence to create a more productive work environment
- Be able to recognize and address problem behavior before it becomes too serious
- Motivate and reward staff effort
- Know what to include in a performance review and create a system for monitoring information that should be in the review
- Be effective in correcting problem behaviors
- Be effective in setting performance goals
Who Should Take this Class?
- New managers interested in improving their leadership skills
- Experienced supervisors seeking management skill development
- Class ID: 5926
- Instructor: Sally Klauss
- When: 6/4/18 - 7/27/18
- Total Number of Hours: 32
- Where: Online
- Fee: $395