Enhance your understanding of program evaluation within the nonprofit context by learning how to improve your evaluation planning, data collection, data analysis, and data use.
We’ll focus on real-world challenges that organizations may face when conducting evaluation — including staff time, costs, and reporting evaluation results to funders.
This course will help you develop a complete program logic model and evaluation plan that is ready for implementation.
The goal of this program is to:
- Provide a basic understanding of evaluation in the nonprofit context
- Provide tangible, useful information on how nonprofit professionals can plan and implement evaluation activities
- Provide a basic understanding of how evaluation data is used in the nonprofit sector and how participants can improve their use of that data
- Address the real-world challenges that nonprofit organizations face in conducting evaluation, and provide realistic solutions
- What evaluation is and is not
- Why evaluation is important to nonprofit organizations and why your funders are asking you for it
- Planning for evaluation begins when you apply for the grant
- Types of evaluation, and the approaches best suited to nonprofit programs
- Planning tools for evaluation – introduction to the logic model
- Crafting accurate, concise outcome statements
- What an evaluation plan is and why you need one
- Using outcomes from our logic model to create your evaluation plan
- Setting priorities for your evaluation (navigating barriers based on budget, funder requirements, staff time and staff capacity)
- Creating indicators for your outcomes
- Defining benchmarks and targets where appropriate
- Taking stock of the data you already use
- Making data collection systematic
- Choosing and/or creating data collection tools – output information, surveys, interviews, focus groups
- Appropriate analysis of the common data collection tools covered in Unit 3
- Common analysis mistakes and how to avoid them
- Reporting to various stakeholders (funders, donors, Board of Directors and the community)
- Using data for program improvement
By the end of this class, you will:
- Understand what evaluation is, and what it is not.
- Be able to identify steps your organization can take right away to improve evaluation activities.
- Possess a completed program-logic model and evaluation plan.
- Know how to collect and analyze data properly.
- Know how to use that data to improve programs and report to funders and stakeholders.
Who Should Take this Class?
- Non-profit professionals who would like more guidance on the valuation process
- Those interested in working in the non-profit space
- Class ID: 5914
- Instructor: Welsh, Myia
- When: We're not offering this class right now, but we will again in the future. Please bookmark this page and check back for updates, or sign up for our email list to receive news on upcoming classes. Thank you!
- Total Number of Hours: 16
- Where: Online
- Fee: $245.00
- Additional Notes: This course is part of our Certificate in Non Profit Administration program.