Drawing is the fundamental basis of all visual art, and it can provide a lifetime of enjoyment! In Intermediate Drawing, you’ll begin to learn more advanced drawing techniques and subjects.
Practice drawing animals and people in motion, portraits, interiors and exteriors, vehicles, landscapes and anatomy. Additionally, you’ll have the opportunity to work in black and white, as well as color, through graphite and colored pencil.
You’ll be surprised how quickly your skills will improve by observing and drawing along with step-by-step class presentations, which make it easy to understand and put these techniques into practice. Once you learn these skills, you’ll find them becoming second nature, and you’ll greatly increase your ability to represent the world around you.
This class will be presented as a live, interactive video (Zoom), which is more similar to an "in-person" class, because you get the benefit of seeing the art demos live, up- close, in real time just like in an "in-person" class, ask questions, and draw at the same time. Connect with your classmates and learn from the comfort of your own home!
- Pencils (graphite):
- 2B pencil
- 4B pencil
- 6B pencil
- 8B (Optional)
- Woodless Pencil (6B or 8B) optional
- Drawing paper pad - either 9"x12" or 11"x14"
- White vinyl eraser
- Mechanical eraser, or pink eraser on back of pencil (for detail erasing and drawing white lines on gray areas)
- 3-4 (variety sizes) Paper blending stomps (or paper towel/ tissues for blending, if you can't find these for first day)
- Pencil sharpener (preferably with shaving collector)
- Set of colored pencils (24 to 48)
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Draw portraits, facial features, landscapes
- Depict complete objects and scenes in perspective such as vehicles, buildings, interiors, and exteriors
- Portray animal and human anatomy (including specifics like line of action, gesture drawing, body masses, hand, feet, and clothing)
- Draw animals and people in motion with a variety of action poses
- Continue to expand the ability to draw three dimensional objects
- Use of proportions better
- Apply the use of atmospheric perspective in scenes and landscapes
- Have more understanding of color, layering, and transparent/ translucent media through colored pencil
- Maximize the use of value, contrast, line, mark making, and details to draw with expression
Who Should Take this Class?
- Anyone who is interested in enriching their lives with the joy of drawing
- People who draw who would like to improve their drawing skills and apply those skills to draw anything they want in the future
- Anyone who would like to learn to express themselves through the medium of drawing
- Artists or anyone who would like to gain the foundational skills of drawing to apply to any visual art