Dive into the history and culture of Ashkenazi Jews and the Yiddish language by exploring the music they sang and played throughout Eastern Europe and America.
In this class, we will listen to Yiddish folk songs and Klezmer music, and get glimpse into Jewish social, cultural, and political movements and how they have evolved through the years.
Gain a broader and deeper understanding of the history and culture of Ashkenazi Jews throughout the last few centuries, and learn a number of Yiddish songs.
This course is part of our Senior Series, courses designed for older students and offered during the daytime on diverse topics.
By the end of this course, you will gain a broader understanding, familiarity and knowledge of:
- The history and culture of Ashkenazi Jews throughout the last few centuries,
- Yiddish language and its dialects
- The paths of Ashkenazi Jewish migration
- Eastern European and American Jewish cultural, social, and political movements
- Yiddish folk songs
- Klezmer music
Who Should Take This Class?
This class is for anyone who is interested in the Yiddish language, and the culture and history of the people who speak it.
Instructor, Location & Fee
- Instructor: Sasha Berenstein
- Where: Online: Real-time and interactive through videoconferencing
- Fee: $89