Lomir geyen vayter (let’s go further) – join the Yiddish revival! Learn further conversation, reading, and grammar skills through interactive games, songs, and dialogues. By the end of the course, you will be able to read, speak, and translate simple Yiddish.
Gain the confidence and vocabulary to carry on a conversation beyond just knowing the odd Yiddish word or phrase. Explore vocabulary for greetings, family members, health, the weather, and other common daily topics. From day one you will use the language in group conversation and with the instructor. Enjoy songs, poems, and colorful art displays, to help you gain language facility in a fun and interactive environment.
You may wish to bring a notebook or laptop to take notes with, but it is not required. The instructor will provide pdfs.
This class is designed for Yiddish students who have completed 3 quarters (45 hours) of Yiddish studies or the equivalent.
- Continue learning to read and write in Yiddish
- Acquire vocabulary, phrases, and expressions from a wide range of topics
- Develop conversational skills in exchanging information – introducing yourself, family, job, hobbies, your day, etc.
- Gain exposure to Yiddish historical materials such as songs, poems, and newspapers
Who Should Take This Class?
Prerequisites: This class is designed for Yiddish students who have completed 3 quarters (45 hours) of Yiddish studies or equivalent.
- This class is for students who want to further their knowledge of reading, writing, and speaking Yiddish.
- Anyone who is interested in furthering their Yiddish learning. Yiddish III or equivalent required.