It is also the busiest locks in the US, carrying everything from kayaks to barges.
Master the required skills to make your next transit through the locks less stressful and more fun.
Through step-by-step guidance and hands-on experience, we'll focus on preparation, safety, communication, and more.
Session 1 takes place at Seattle Maritime Academy and includes hands-on practice using our recreational teaching vessel.
Session 2 takes place on the water and includes a minimum of two transits through the Ballard Locks.
Please bring non-slip shoes and layered clothing appropriate to the forecasted weather.
In this class you will:
- Learn the equipment required for transiting the Ballard Locks
- Gain hands-on boat-handling and line-handling experience
- Learn about the "rules of the road" specific to lock transit
- Transit the Ballard Locks under the guidance of experienced instructors
- Pick up useful tips to make your transits less stressful
Who Should Take this Class?
- Anyone interested in receiving hands-on guidance in transiting the Ballard Locks
- Class ID: 6223
- Instructor: Margaret Pommert
- When: Monday & Thursday; 7/1/19-7/11/19; 5-9 PM
- Total Number of Hours: 8
- Where: Seattle Maritime Academy, Room 0; 4455 Shilshole Ave NW, Seattle, WA 98107
- Fee: $295
- Additional Notes: Session 1 takes place at Seattle Maritime Academy and includes hands-on practice using our recreational teaching vessel.Session 2 takes place on the water and includes a minimum of two transits through the Ballard Locks.