Immerse yourself in the works of Philip Guston, Louise Bourgeois, Contemporary Art Practices and Female Figurative Artists. Understand their individual work and see how their art philosophies and practices follow a rich artistic tradition.
By studying these artist, we will also explore how their artistic production fits into a larger trajectory of art practices.
Artists that we will explore in the Contemporary Art Practices tradition include Luc Tuymans, Kara Walker, James Turrell, Maurizio Cattelan, Julie Mehretu,
and Zarina Hashmi. Female Figurative Artists that we will discover will include Marlene Dumas, Alice Neel, Paula Rego and Ann Gale.
Enjoy lectures and slides presented by a local art historian and artist.
This course is part of our Senior Series, courses designed for older students offered during the daytime on diverse topics, though students of all ages are welcome.
By the end of this course, you will:
- Understand the current trajectory of art practices by such artists as Philip Guston, Louise Bourgeois, Luc Tuymans, Kara Walker, James Turrell,
Maurizio Cattelan, Julie Mehretu, Zarina Hashmi, Marlene Dumas, Alice Neel, Paula Rego, Ann Gale, and more.
- Experience their works of art in-depth
Who Should Take This Class?
- Anyone interested in art and art history
- People specifically interested in these artists who'd enjoy a focused exploration for their work and influence
- Anyone seeking intellectual stimulation in a lecture based classroom environment
- Seniors seeking fellowship as part of our Senior Series of classes