Explore the life, work and contribution of selected artists who have played an important role in art history, primarily originating in Europe, and have influenced the trajectory of artistic development around the world today.
Discover distinctive artists on a deeper level, focusing on one each class session: Rembrandt van Rijn, Marcel Duchamp, Leonardo da Vinci, Pablo Picasso, Anselm Kiefer, Martin Kippenberger, Frida Kahlo and Marina Abramovic.
Each session will serve as a stand-alone, in-depth exploration of life, work and contribution of each featured artist to the wider aesthetic discourse in this lecture-based course.
Unlike art surveys, we will not be focusing on art movements, or historic periods.
Instead, our object will be understanding their individual work, seeing how their art philosophies and practices follow a rich artistic tradition, as well as how their production fits into a larger trajectory of art practices.
This course is part of our Senior Series, courses designed for older students and offered during the daytime on diverse topics.
By the end of this course, you will have::
- Acquired an understanding of what philosophical and artistic practices defined each of the
- Practiced visual analysis of artwork from each artist
- Developed an understanding of where their work falls within tradition
- Attained a basic understanding of each artist’s opus, and how it pertains to art history
Who Should Take This Class?
- Anyone interested in art and art history.
- People specifically interested in these artists who'd enjoy a focused exploration for their work and influence: Rembrandt van Rijn, Marcel Duchamp, Leonardo da Vinci, Pablo Picasso, Anselm Kiefer, Martin Kippenberger, Frida Kahlo and Marina Abramovic.
- Anyone seeking intellectual stimulation in a lecture based classroom environment.
- Class ID: 6237
- Instructor: Miha Sarani
- When: 9 Fridays; 1/10/20-3/6/20, 10:30 AM-12:30 PM
- Total Number of Hours: 19
- Where: Broadway Edison Building, Room 1139B; 1701 Broadway, Seattle WA 98122
- Fee: $129
- Additional Notes: The last (9th) session is a field trip to a museum. The entrance fee to the museum is not included in the class fee.