Do you hope to someday run a marathon, but don’t know where to start? Do you enjoy running shorter distances, but 26.2 miles sounds a little daunting? Would you like to know how to put together (and follow) a marathon training plan? Do you wish to better understand running jargon?
If the answer to any of these questions is “yes,” this class is for you!
Run Your First Marathon will give you all of the information, tools, and resources you will need to train for and run your first marathon, strong and injury-free.
Learn about nutrition, hydration, sticking to a training plan, rest and recovery, injury prevention and your running form.
Explore footwear, technical clothing and gear.
Consider options for choosing a great first marathon, and learn about the race itself.
We will also discuss developing a positive mindset that will help you be successful and get the most out of your experience.
This course is delivered in a two-part lecture format via Zoom, with plenty of opportunity for Q&A during both sessions.
You will be given optional homework between the two sessions including some running exercises and the opportunity to send video footage for feedback on running form, if you choose.
The instructor will send optional videos and reading material via email to all registered students.
When racing season resumes, you will have all of the tools you need to run a marathon.
Get ready to check “Run a Marathon” off your bucket list!
By the end of this course, you will:
(1) know each step required to train for and finish a marathon, injury-free;
(2) understand how to find or put together a training plan, stick to it, or modify it as appropriate;
(3) be familiar with tools, techniques and gear necessary for healthy, safe running and avoiding gimmicks and fads;
(4) have awareness about choosing a great first marathon
(5) understand the role of recovery, nutrition and hydration
(5) have insight into common challenges faced by runners during training and the race itself, and how to mitigate these challenges to finish your race successfully.
Who Should Take this Class?
This workshop is for you if you:
- have always wanted to run a marathon, but didn’t know where to start
- enjoy running shorter distances, but 26.2 miles sounds a little daunting
- played sports in high school or college, but haven’t run much since
- play sports or are physically active now, but aren’t experienced with distance running
- want to join a run club but are afraid you may get left behind
- enjoy fitness but don’t yet consider yourself a “runner”
- are new to fitness and have a desire to learn how to train for a marathon
Note: Please make sure you have health clearance from your doctor before doing anything that might injure you. We want you to stay safe, healthy and injury-free!