This introductory workshop is designed for fluent speakers of English and Japanese who are interested in learning basic English-Japanese interpreting skills.
Instructor uses conference interpreting skill development techniques to help students strengthen both their English and Japanese language skills.
Learn how to improve listening comprehension to accurately capture a speaker's main idea when a passage is spoken only once.
Find out about working in various fields and settings for English-Japanese interpreting in the Greater Seattle area.
Gain various tips for practicing your interpreting skills independently.
This workshop is also suitable for English-Japanese bilinguals who are already working as interpreters and/or translators but have never been in formal interpretation training.
No prior work experience as interpreter is necessary.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Enhance basic grammar, syntax, vocabulary and comprehension skills in both English and Japanese;
- Quickly and accurately capture the main idea of a passage spoken in English and/or Japanese;
- Master expressions that typically arise when interpreting;
- Consecutively interpret short passages of spoken English to spoken Japanese and vice versa.
Who Should Take this Class?
- Students who have an advanced level of English and Japanese languages.
- English/Japanese translators who are interested in learning basic interpreting skills.
- English/Japanese interpreters who seek to improve interpreting skills.