This is the second course in the Teaching English to Speakers Of Other Languages (TESOL) Certificate Program and is taken after completing the TESOL – Basics course.
Overview of English language grammar, with special emphasis on structures most commonly taught in English language classes is covered in this course.
This is a hybrid course and meets weekly: in person for three hours, and online for 1.6 hours of instruction.
This course is only offered in winter quarter.
Please see the Textbooks and Supplies page on this website to find out about required and suggested materials for you to bring this class.
By the completion of this course, you will have:
- developed an understanding of the role of grammar in second language instruction
- developed fluency in grammar-speak
- demonstrated the ability to explain, present, and provide examples of various grammar points
- demonstrated an ability to recognize and identify grammatical errors, and know how to fix them
- created a bibliography of credible grammar sources
- demonstrated an ability to talk about, work with, and teach grammar structures
- created several worksheets and two lesson plans to be used in future ESL classes
Who Should Take this Class?
- Native Speakers of English who want to work internationally teaching English
- International students who are studying in the U.S. and want to teach English overseas
- Current tutors and teachers of English language learners at tutoring centers and nonprofit agencies