Gain the skills you need to become a computer technician, earn the CompTIA A+ certification and launch a rewarding career in the rapidly growing technology field.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, nearly 89,000 new computer technician jobs expected by 2024; this is an excellent career choice for job prospects.
Specific responsibilities for a computer technician vary from position to position, but often include:
• Installing hardware and software systems for personal, business and industrial units
• Maintaining or repairing equipment
• Troubleshooting a variety of computer issues
• Setting up computer security measures
• Configuring computer networks
• Offering technical support on-site or via phone or email
Examples of possible computer technician jobs include: working in a retail electronics store repairing and maintaining customers' hardware and software, working as part of an internal information technology team in a large or medium sized business, or providing technical support to customers via phone or email.
This is an online course that we offer through our educational partners, Career Step, who has been training professionals for over 20 years.
The comprehensive curriculum was developed by industry professionals.
What is the CompTIA A+ certification?
This course will prepare you for the CompTIA A+ certification exam, the preferred qualifying credential for technical support and IT operational roles.
The exam is designed to certify the competency of entry-level PC computer service professionals in installing, maintaining, customizing, and operating personal computers.
Though certification may not always be a requirement for employment, CompTIA A+ certification will help your resume stand out in the job market and will also give you access to more job opportunities.
This training program includes 2 certification exam vouchers, which you will receive when you finish the training program
How is the Computer Technician program structured?
This program is offered entirely online, providing 24/7 access to all material and allowing you to progress through the curriculum on your own schedule and at your own pace.
The program is broken into modules, or course subjects, all of which focus on helping you build the essential knowledge and skills of a computer technician.
You'll have one-on-one access to three instructor support teams through Career Step—student support, technical support, and graduate support—to ensure that you can complete your education successfully and prepare for future employment.
How long does it take to finish the course?
You'll have a full 6 months to complete the program.
With one-on-one access to dedicated instructors with years of professional experience, you'll have the help you need to succeed.
- Learn the skills you need to become a computer technician
- Understand essential topics relevant to the profession, including: computer fundamentals, hardware, networking, laptops, mobile devices, printers, troubleshooting, operational procedures, operating systems and security
- Be prepared to earn the Comp TIA A+ certifications
Who Should Take this Class?
- Anyone interested in a career as a computer technician
- People who would like to prepare for the exams for the CompTIA A+ certification
- Computer savvy people interested in a pathway to employment through online education
Since the course is completely online, your computer will play an important role in your learning experience.
We recommend the following minimum computer system specifications:
- Active internet connection (high speed/broadband connection recommended)
- 800 X 600 minimum resolution (1024 X 768 or higher recommended)
- Sound card and speakers (earphones recommended)
- Available USB port
- Adobe Flash Player (ver. 10 or higher)
- Windows Media Player (ver. 10 or higher) or Quicktime Player (ver. 7 or higher)
- PDF reader
- Internet Explorer 7.x/8.x/9.x, Firefox 3.x or Safari 4.x or greater (Mac only)
- Microsoft Windows (XP®, Vista®, 7 with latest service pack) or Mac OS X (10.4.11 or greater)
- Class ID: 8248
- Instructor: Career Step Staff
- When: Open enrollment & self-paced
- Total Number of Hours: 305
- Where: Online
- Fee: $1,999
- Additional Notes: This training program is 305 completion hours. Since the program is completely self-paced and the online training format allows you the flexibility to study as much or as little as your schedule allows, the time it takes you to complete the course will vary from other students. Some students are able to complete their training program in as little as one or two months and others, who are more limited in the time they can devote to the course, take longer (for example, students who can devote about 15 hours a week may finish in about 5 months).Every student who enrolls in the Career Step Computer Technician training program receives an initial 3-month period of enrollment–and we currently offer an additional 3 months at no extra charge! You'll have a full 6 months to complete the program. If you need extra time to complete the course after your initial 6-month enrollment, we have 3-month extensions available for purchase.