Games are increasingly recognized as a tool that can serve many business purposes beyond entertainment.
This certificate provides you with a general introduction to what goes into the design and development of both video and analog games, with a particular focus on the use of games outside of consumer entertainment.
Worldwide, video game sales including consoles, and online and mobile games are projected to reach $111 billion dollars this year.
Mobile games are the fastest-growing segment of the market as more and more people play casual games.
By 2019 Price Warehouse predicts social and casual game sales will exceed traditional game sales.
By successfully completing this Certificate in Basic Game Design through two one-month courses, you will have taken the first steps into understanding game design, and being able to create your own games.
Introduction to Game Design
In the first course, discover resources for developing game design, identify the mechanics and verbs used in different games.
You will come away with knowing the different activities that are part of game design, being able to flesh out a game idea in order to increase the chances of creating a successful game design experience, and have a basic understanding of how to work with game developers.
Intermediate Video Game Design
In the second course, you will you will learn the basics of video game design process, learn about the main video game genres, and use a game development software application to begin your journey of making games.
This online course is offered through our educational partner, LERN.
Read about the online learning experience in our Frequently Asked Questions.
- Gain a general introduction into the design and development of both video and analog games
- Explore the use of games outside of consumer entertainment
- Discover resources for developing game design
- Identify the mechanics and verbs used in different games
- Understand the different activities that are part of game design
- Be able to flesh out a successful game idea
- Gain a basic understanding how to work with game developers
- Learn the basics of video game design process
- Become familiar with the main video game genres that you can specialize in
- Gain experience using game development software application
Who Should Take this Class?
- Anyone interested in game design
- Existing designers who want to gain a more thorough understanding of game design
- Anyone interested in guidance from a professional and a structured learning environment to advance your skills in game design
- Gamers interested in turning their skills into a profession
- People interested in exploring game design for not just recreation, but other purposes as well
- Class ID: 8227
- Instructor: Seattle Central Staff
- When: Flexible start dates
- Total Number of Hours: 32
- Where: Online
- Fee: $395