What are your hours of operation?

We are open Monday through Friday 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

During summer quarter, we are open Monday through Thursday 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m., closed on Fridays due to the school's summer schedule, through August.


I’m having trouble registering on your website. Who can I contact?

Please call our office at (206) 934-5448 or email conted.central@seattlecolleges.edu.


Do you offer any type of payment plan or scholarships?

Unfortunately, financial assistance is usually from federal funds and reserved for credit-based and degree-based programs and therefore is NOT applicable for Continuing Education classes and programs. We also aren't able to offer any type of payment plan, though we do take most credit cards. If you are eligible for unemployment benefits, please contact your local office to determine your eligibility.

If you work for Seattle Colleges, please see Professional Development Funds for Seattle Colleges Employees.


How do I find the Continuing Education office?

Our offices are located in rooms 1139 I-M, in the Broadway Edison Building, the main building on Seattle Central College's Capitol Hill campus, in the lowest level. Find out more on this page: directions, map and parking.


What do I need to know about online courses? 

We offer many online courses through educational partners, and some we offer to you directly with our own curriculum and local instructors. If the online partner is LERN or Ed2GO, you can read FAQs about online classes through LERN and find out more about online classes with Ed2GO.


Can my child take a class?

Continuing Education programs are designed for adult learners. Unless a course or program is specifically geared toward a younger age group, students under 18 years must obtain permission to enroll according to the following guidelines:

  • 16 and 17 year old students may enroll in some classes with the required release form. However, certain classes require a minimum age of 18 or 21.
  • 14 to 15 year old students may enroll in some classes if accompanied by a parent or adult guardian over 18, registered and participating in the same class. This does not apply to every class, so please contact us to confirm that the class your interested in is eligible.


Can I get a refund if I decide not to take the class?

Please see our policies about cancellations and refunds.


How do I get documentation for clock hours or a certificate of completion?

Get the information you need by visiting the following web pages:


What materials or books do I need for my class?

First, review the web page for your class, then see our texbooks and supplies page.


Is the school closed due to bad weather or emergencies?

Sign-up for alerts and learn more on our School Closures web page. For regular holidays and hours, visit our Calendar page.

Have a question that wasn't answered here? Please contact us.