Kids, learn to knit! In this course for people ages 10 and above, learn the basics of knitting and be able to knit your own fingerless mittens within two weeks. This course is designed for beginners who are interested in knitting, or people who have learned to knit but would like a refresher course.
Learn knitting techniques that will allow you to complete the project such as pattern reading, cast-on, knit stitch, purl stitch, bind-off, seam and weaving in the ends. These will be great skills to have if you decide to continue knitting in the future! This could be the beginning of a lifetime of knitting and many spectacular projects.
Upon completion of this course, you will have started and finished a useful and fashionable garment! You will also learned the basics of knitting. Create a set of fingerless mitts for a chilly autumn or winter day!
This summer, all of our workshops will be online. Enjoy meeting other kids and make friends while being creative from your home.
This workshop is family friendly and part of our summer programs for kids and teens.
Materials to prepare before the class:
- Set of size US 10 knitting needles
- 2 skeins of bulky weight (#5 or #6 yarn weight)
- 1 tapestry needle
Notes for parent/guardian of children: We encourage you to be nearby to support your child as needed. Also, each participant needs to be registered for the workshop. If a siblings, friends or family members would like to join, please register them separately. Thank you!
- Read simple knitting pattern.
- Cast-on using the long-tail cast-on method
- Complete a knit stitch
- Bind-off stitches
- Seam a piece of garment
- Weave in the ends of the work
- Blocking a finished garment
- Owning and caring for a completed handmade garment – fingerless mitts!
Who Should Take This Class?
- Children ages 10 and older. (Note: Kids under age 10 will probably have difficulty using the needles and so we are setting the minimum age limit at 10. Thanks for understanding.)
- Kids or teens interested in learning the basic techniques to knitting a garment.
- Adults are welcome to take this workshop.
- Students new to knitting or a good refresher course for students picking up knitting again after a long break.
- No prerequisite skills required. You do not need to have ever knit a stitch in your life to join us in this class!
Instructor, Location & Fee
- Instructor: Francie Zwicker
- Where: Online: Real-time and interactive through videoconferencing
- Fee: $49